http://www.bankofgleason.com

 

Site Search
  
     search tips  sitemap      

TaterTownOnline.com

 

 

 

                        On Gleason

 

 

Gleason Superette

Jozelle's Beauty Shop

City Drug Store

Gleason Lumber

Floyd Greenhouses

Gleason Hardware

Eveready Auto Parts

Gleason Clinic

Steele Plant Company

Bank of Gleason

J & P Car Care

Ann's Beauty Shop

Earthen Vessels Pottery Gifts & Bistro

Spain Bros Milling Co, LLC

 

 

Gleason

Masonic Lodge

#330

 

 

 

Retire in Weakley County

 

Weakley County Chamber of Commerce

  

Gleason Library

 

 

Click for Gleason, Tennessee Forecast

Tennessee Vacations.com

  Facts about all 50 States

 

Interesting Facts About Gleason

Firsts for Gleason

Hotel Andrew Swaim
Steam Engine Jake Parks
Dry Goods Store

Polk Alexander

Garage Max Levy & E. A. White
Brick Building

George Lasater

Frame House Joe McGlothin
Horse Drawn Hearse/Motor Ambulance John Shipley
Motorcycle (1912) Obe Parks
Car (1913) Max Levy & E. A. White
Case Tractor (1914) Jake Parks
Telephone (local p-vine) Jones Hotel
Graphaphone (1915) Frank Trevathan
Radio Aubrey Phelps
Television Harry Edwards
Cotton Gin (Behind old Corner Store) Bill Brag

Tobacco Factory

(Where Bell Clay Sheds Located)

Leonard Freeman

 *The first Masons were organized in 1861 on the ground floor of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.

* The year 1905 saw the advent of running water in Gleason which came from the town well in the middle of the street (behind the Lasater Building)

* The first electricity was turned on in 1916, with Clarence Horn operating the first light plant which was located o the old hitching lot across from where the Post Office is now.

* Electricity was only turned on one day a week and on certain hours at night.

* In 1913, W. R. Hawks introduced the first potato hampers used for shipping sweet potatoes

* R. A. Nants operated the town’s first veneering mill from 1916 to 1954 where these sweet potato hampers were produced.

* Progress continued in Gleason with the town getting its first fire engine in 1927

The history of the Gleason community provided in Oakwood-Gleason: A Look Back provides an account of Gleason's history up through the time the book was originally published. As some 20 years have now passed since its publication, Gleason Online is providing a "History Update" feature, for each section of the book, for those wishing to add important historical information relevant to the Gleason community. Contributions can be submitted via E-mail attachment by clicking on the "Website Visitor Comments" graphic, provided above.

[Back]

HomeAbout UsGleason BusinessesChurchesGleason SchoolObituariesPicturesGleason NewsContact Us

 Copyright © 2003 - 2007 GleasonOnline.comTM. All rights reserved.